Friday, August 04, 2006

Sweatshirt and Socks


Amy Levendusky and Jess Werner arrived about 9:30. It was so good to see Amy. For those who don’t know, I dedicated the book to Amy and Michael Jordon. She looked a little thinner, but happy. She is visiting family and friends for six weeks before returning to The Federated States of Micronesia where she is a third year Peace Corps Volunteer. She has extended for another six months. We caught up on the lives of other people, shared photos and discussed the finer points of The Last Voyage of the Cosmic Muffin. She and her mom read the book while relaxing at their camp in Wisconsin. Each had a copy. They read and then discussed the book. Amy and Jess said they learned a lot about me from the book and did not realize I was that serious about the captain.


Dropped the bike off the back of The Rig and rode into Gloucester this afternoon. It is a seven mile one-way ride on tricky roads—hills and blind curves. Most people were going slow and patiently waited behind me if a car was coming head on. It was a good work out and thankfully the heat broke. Nevertheless, I still came home wet and after sitting around in a damp t-shirt I was freeeezin’. While I wasn’t crazy about the extreme heat of the week, I hate being cold worse than being hot. Cold hurts.


Not one to quit too soon, I returned to the place of yesterday’s crime (Bookends) where Barbara Goveny was kind enough to let me hang around to sell another book or two. No dice, but it was cooler and I enjoyed listening to the music of a talented brother and sister duo. Who they are? Don’t know. But they entertained a crowd for a good hour or more with music from the Beatles, Eagles, Everly Brothers, Creedence Clearwater and more classics. No Village People. Little kids can be cute, but these kids were talented. You had to love the girl on the drums, who also sang along with her brother.

For the record: Barbara Goveny: Owner, Bookends, Gloucester, MA




Tomorrow, I break camp and move down the coast. Where will I sell the next copy of my book?

No comments: