Thursday, December 27, 2007

American Chop Suey

Chop Suey is a bland mixture of overcooked vegetables that includes onion, celery, bamboo shoots and thin noodles. It comes with some bland pale white sauce and barely sees soy sauce touch the dish. Yep, it is American but what urban legend is the truth about its origin? I personally like the story of an angered cook and the mispronunciation of “chopped sewage.”

Maybe because I’m from Saratoga Springs and the locals all know the story of the potato chip, invented by another angered cook. I think if I were to open a restaurant I’d name it “The Angry Cook.”

Other lore has the suey placating hungry miners and railroad workers. And then there is the theory that mothers know. Mix up some leftover surprise slop, give it an exotic name and kids will eat it.

But what I want to know is where does Chop Suey, a "Chinese" concoction, become American Chop Suey, a goolosh dish of macaroni, tomatoes and ground beef. Walk into small town New Hampshire diners and order Chop Suey and you’ll get a dish that resembles a bad Hamburger Helper dish, a shocking expectation if you were looking forward to a cabbage-noodle combo. From a small diner in New Hampshire how far does one have to drive to get the "Chinese" food?

I offer no recipes for either dish.

No comments: