Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Houston,...

we have a problem...

7:35 AM. I’m sitting at the gate for San Salvador. Got to have the passport checked before boarding. The announcement is made in Spanish, before English. My country, going to hell in a hand basket. Now one would argue that the flight bound for a Spanish speaking country would warrant an announcement in the language. Shouldn't the language of the "host" country be said first. (hosts have parasites)

I’ve traveled out of a few non-English speaking countries headed back to the US: Thailand, Taiwan, Chile, Micronesia, the Marshals to name a few and never was the announcement made in English first. It just boggles my mind.

On my plane from Tampa to Houston there was a young woman headed to Mexico City. She was greeted in Houston by a Continental rep (just like me). She didn’t say a word, showed her ticket to the agent and he, in Spanish, told her what gate. When she shrugged, he gave her directions, in Spanish. I followed behind her and noticed that every sign in the airport was in both English and Spanish. Reclamo de Equipaje, salas, etc… If traveling in Nepal was so easy!

Anyway, I’m headed to Honolulu in a few hours. No passport required. I’m betting the boarding announcement won’t be in Hawaiian, save for Aloha.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have a great trip, Val! I hope you made arrangements for the proper activating of your Christmas light display while you are away....? Cheers...Julie

Anonymous said...

in texas - all signs in spanish and english. step one foot over the border into mexico: not a single word of english
how much money do you need for the bridge????